1. It is one of the pillars of Islam
The Prophet (SAW) said: "Islam has been built upon five things - on testifying that there is no god save Allah, and that Muhammad is His Messenger; on performing salah; on giving the zakah; on Hajj to the House; and on fasting during Ramadan." - Bukhari & Muslim
2. This is the month in which the Qu’ran was revealed
"The month of Ramadan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful." - Q2:185
3. In one of the odd nights of the last ten days of this month, there will be a night of decree
"The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months." - Q97:3
4. Every night of the month, Allah sets his servants free from Hell 5. The gates of Jannah are opened and that of Jahanaam are closed 6. All the satans are chained during this month
The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said during Ramadan: 'The gates of Hell are closed, the gates of Paradise are opened, and the devils are in chains. An angel calls out : 'O you who intend to do good deeds, have glad tidings. O you who intend to do evil, refrain, until Ramadan is completed.''" - Ahmad and an-Nasa'i
7. Allah beautifies paradise each day of this month 8. On the concluding night of Ramadan, the sins of the pious will be forgiven and Allah will rid them of every act of disobedience
"Who fasts in Ramadan with faith and waiting for divine reward you are forgiven their sins." - Bukhari and Muslim
9. The angels will continuously seek mercy and forgiveness for those who fast until they break their fasts 10. The odor coming from the mouth of a fasting persons better to Allah than the aroma of musk.
The Prophet (SAW) said: "I swear by Him in whose hand is my soul, the Khaluf of a fasting person is more pleasant to Allah (SWT) than the scent of musk." - Bukhari and Muslim
11. It is compulsory for every sane and healthy Muslim adult.